In the Company of Perfect Strangers

Makris Gialos Beach, Kefalonia in October
Makris Gialos Beach, Kefalonia (in late October)
There's an unspoken understanding and a silent solidarity between people who frequent some of my favorite places on the island. Communication is carried out mainly by glances, smiles, nods and gestures. Faces become familiar after a while and there's an inherent understanding and respect for that space that each of us is allotted for fulfilling the purpose of his visit.

A fisherman, a woman walking her dog, a couple waiting for the sunset, a jogger, an amateur photographer—each with their own agenda. Once in a while, after some familiarity is established, the nods and gestures are accompanied by a few substantial words and suggestions:
"...over those rocks you'll get a better view of the seagulls" 
"if you really want to capture some big waves, you should come in the morning"
or the inevitable question:  
"....do you ever publish these photos, is anyone interested in seeing winter images?"

I have learned so much from my "comrades in solitude." A fisherman gave me a condensed course in understanding weather so I can choose the right place and time for perfect clouds and colorful seas. An English couple tipped me off as to the purple skies of dusk that I might miss at Ammes Beach if I leave right after sundown. A jogger at Makris Gialos made a slight detour to leave some footprints so that my photo (above) would turn out less bland. Without a word, just a bow and a smile before he returned to his original path.

Thinking about this the other day, I found myself humming some lyrics from an old tune. One I haven't even heard in years, but so appropriate for the situation; it really describes what all us strangers do when smiling, nodding, and gesturing to each other in places of solitude...

Yes,indeed,
❝ We fill out the missing colors 
In each other's paint-by-number dreams...❞
(from Jackson Browne's The Pretender, paraphrased a tiny bit)

No comments:

Post a Comment